Thursday, June 01, 2006

Just Good Friends

"No, no! We're just good friends"
"Can't we just stay friends?"
"You're just my buddy"
"Lets just be friends"

I'm sure you've got what I mean, boys and girls. These (and many more variants of them) are possibly the biggest clichés ever in the English language(followed closely by,"I just want a nice guy who has a good sense of humor" and not so far behind is,"I'm sure you'll find someone special"). If I had 10 bucks for every time I'd heard these, I wouldn't be a terribly rich man, but i would definitely have enough to go for a movie and a lavish seven course dinner, by myself of course.

Now dont get me wrong, i'm not cribbing, although in my opinion, I have been at the receiving end once too many. I do understand that this is the ladies' way of putting someone they despise down as gently as possible, hence I have no complaints with this method. I think I speak on behalf of most of the guys who have experienced this when i say that we appreciate the thought behind it. However, having heard it for over half my life, I have realized that its the tone that hurts, rather than the content. "He's JUST a friend", "NO! NO! We're JUST friends", thus implying that this chap is completely dispensable.

I guess its something girls start learning when they're around 12 (the more attractive, the earlier it starts) when guys first begin to pay them attention, and by the time they reach 24, its more or less a part of their system. A conditioned reflex, if you will. I also believe that the "Just Good Friends" conversation is a fairly recent phenomenon. If it had existed all along, history as we know it might have undergone significant alterations. Can you imagine Juliet telling Romeo that she just wanted to be his friend? Shakespeare wouldnt have been as famous, and Mark Knopfler poorer by a few million quid.

Every time I have one of these conversations, i begin to wonder whether every guy has been on the receiving end as often as me, or is there something fundamentally "good friend"-ly about me(ladies, please feel free to comment. Guys, get your own house in order first). I'm not the most sociable of people (unlike those whack-jobs who claim to have "making friends" as a hobby-How needy is that?!), but I have no qualms about making friends. In these circumstances, however, its always kind of like getting "consolation prize"-never did figure out whether that was supposed to make me feel good or bad.

I often say that there are two things I will never figure out- computers, and the way women think. They think they're being nice to us when it’s really pretty painful. They think they're letting me down gently when they actually leave me hanging in mid-air. I admit that every single time I have had a "good friends" conversation, I have deluded myself into believing there's still a semblance of a chance, a ray of hope, despite knowing that it’s pretty much the last nail in the coffin. Totally my fault, I don’t blame the fairer sex for any of this.

Ladies, please don’t misconstrue this as a sexist post. I don’t have anything against women- in fact, I really like them - hence, my getting into trouble with them so often. Here's to all the "just good friends" I have ever made. I love you all. (Call me)

9 comments:

Abhinav Dua said...

one of the rare posts where the summary is in the beginning :)
n it sure sums up ur tryst with the fairer sex, does also bring out a mild level of frustration..
and before i end, the analogy b/w computers n women is what i have heard from you a zillion time over, so i half expected you to build upon it n write something more... was kind of disappointed that you didnt... neverthelees, love the way you ended the article :) (testimony to your tendency of not picking up a fight over the more trivial of matters, no matter how strongly you feel about it)

Anonymous said...

seems u hv had quite a few of these 'jus frds' encounters...frustrating, im sure but then u cant have all tht u want & being turned down so subtly must feel better than straight in the face 'u aint good enuff'! besides u shud b glad tht females like to hv u as a frd atleast ;)im sure thrs some whacko fr u too..beyong being 'jus frds'

Anonymous said...

i would appreciate it if the "anonymous" above revealed their identity, cos its pretty obvious they havent understood a word of mr psycho's post.

Anonymous said...

women are such zeroes at everythin else except bein manipulative.. and that is the key to their success.. son its all about what purpose u can serve for them.. upto that period of time its all goody goody.. when it comes to payback time - its good friends land.. for they have already found some1 else to sink their talons into..

1 lesson i have learnt in my numerous yrs.. its all about what u have.. its all about money, fships and stable future.. think about it sonal - the girl for whom we both write our respective posts - wud they have refused if we were multimillionare cardiologists with gcs.. no chance son.. classical gold diggers..

im a bitter man - no doubt.. tons of women have used and abused me.. i wudnt even mind naming them.. i like it that way.. someday i will be strong enuf that the shoe will be on the other foot..

life like love is a marketplace.. everythin has a tag.. one day i will have mine.. immature ppl will disagree with the above post.. and all of them will realise it one day..

till then i love all of those goddesses.. for the rage is relentless

badguy

Anonymous said...

and thanx sonal for writin about a topic which i had been eggin u on to write about..

ugly kid joes "everythin about u" is playin in the background;)

badguy

Anonymous said...

This one is better! I would like to see some actualy dialogues here...
Psychoman: blah blah
Not-so-pschowoman: blah blah blah blah
Psyhcoman: oh!
Not-so-psychowan: blah blah blah blah blah...

Women tend to be more voluble.

Great.

Anonymous said...

This one is better! I would like to see some actualy dialogues here...
Psychoman: blah blah
Not-so-pschowoman: blah blah blah blah
Psyhcoman: oh!
Not-so-psychowan: blah blah blah blah blah...

Women tend to be more voluble.

Great.

Anonymous said...

agree with shwets, u do yearn for love, for tht feeling of belongingness & thats precisely why you guys are so frustrated at being turned down but generalising would be a gross idea. perhaps you have a few bad experiences but drop the chauvinism for a sec & look at the other side too for i bel women are trampled upon by men more often.
badguy, 'payback' what? if you love someone what do you want in return & then you call women manipulative, cant bel the hypocrisy!

Sonal Mehta said...

boys and girls, as much as i do appreciate all your comments, this is not chat central. I'm sure u understand. Thank you